[Sca-cooks] Texas history

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Thu Apr 11 15:39:10 PDT 2002

Houston was placed in command of the Army of Texas by the newly formed
government of the Republic between November 2-4, 1835.  On April 21, 1836,
he defeated the Mexicans at San Jacinto.  He was sworn in as the first
President of the Republic of Texas on October 22.

BTW, the Republic of Texas consisted of the land between the Rio Grande (Rio
Bravo del Norte) and the Nueces River, an area considerably less than the
state of Texas.

Bear