[Sca-cooks] Mastajhi Soup

Craig Jones. craig.jones at airservices.gov.au
Thu Apr 11 17:51:37 PDT 2002

>Which would, of course, make the cost of the dish prohibitive for
most
>feasts...

Not at all.  Here, Blue Swimmers sell for about $3/lb.  I'm envisaging
making 1 crab per 6 or 8 and cutting the "pate" inside the crab shell
into 6-8 pieces and including them on a "starter" plate with other
delicacies as Roasted Quail, Cow's Milk Buns, Meat Cakes & Fish Cakes
perhaps...

>even here in southern Maryland where they can be found quite
>easily, overfishing has made them very expensive.  So...I may try
>doing this at some point for a small group of people, but doing it
>for a major feast is probably right out.

My chinese feast with have a cap of 50 or 100 depending on the
equipment I have to hire.  It wont be cheap and I'm looking at US$7
per head for food with equipment hire (steamers) and hall costs on top
of that.  So, not cheap.

I've had 50 promises of attendance already just from people looking at
the proposed menu.

I'll expect to fill the event by publishing the menu (online)  and
encouraging people to see what they are going to get for their money
upfront and to advertise well in advance...  As we advance on the
redations, we'll be taking pictures with a digital camera for the
website.

I'll keep you all posted...

Drakey.