[Sca-cooks] Message from Paul Buell....

Philippa Alderton phlip_u at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 11 20:06:45 PDT 2002

--- "Craig Jones." <craig.jones at airservices.gov.au>
wrote:

> What does he have to say on recipe 192.  The
> foot-note say  this
> recipe is defective but not why?

Paul : Ya, for sauce you can probably use
Soysauce across the board, but the only "sauce" called
for is "sheep's liver
sauce." Here, however, the recipe looks completely
Chinese; soysauce is a
very safe bet. But be aware that there are so many
variants of soysauce
about. The way the Vietnamese prepare their sauces,
using soysauce, is
totally different than what the Japanese do, for
example. I would at least
add sugar and garlic.

> The recipe is:
>
> [192] Broiled Yellow Chicken
>
> It cures asthenia-weakness of spleen and stomach
> diarrhea.
>
> Yellow Hen (one; pluck and clean).
>
> [Of] ingredients, combine together evenly: salt,
> sauce (Drake Note:
> usually means fermented soy-bean), vinegar, fennel,
> fine Chinese
> flower pepper powder.  Brush onto the chicken.
> Roast until dry and
> scortched on coals.  Eat on an empty stomach.
>
> The recipe looks fine to me...

> >Paul:Other recipe collection is the Jujia biyong
> >shilei, from Late Yuan. I and a bunch of people are
> >translating when I get time. Recipes more easily
> >cookable.
>
> Do you have an email address for paul?  I wonder if
> he needs
> volunteers to trial the recipes.

I asked him- told him I'd be happy to get him hooked
up with some interested people on Cook's List. He'll
let me know.....

Phlip

=====
Never a horse that cain't be rode,