[Sca-cooks] Texas history

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Thu Apr 11 23:24:56 PDT 2002

Bear said:
> BTW, the Republic of Texas consisted of the land between the Rio Grande (Rio
> Bravo del Norte) and the Nueces River, an area considerably less than the
> state of Texas.

What material are you using to come up with these boundaries? The maps I've
seen that show the boundaries of the Repulic of Texas, including those
showing the boundaries when it joined the Union before the land was
taken in return for paying off a lot of debt, show considerably more.
I don't think the eastern boundary was ever in doubt. I think it has
always been the Sabine River, although that runs parallel to the Nueces
and not that far to the west of it.

The boundary with Mexico was the one in doubt and one of the reasons
for the Mexican-American War. Opportunism on the part of the Americans
also played a part.

   Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net