[Sca-cooks] Asking questions (was More from Paul....)

Randy Goldberg MD goldberg at bestweb.net
Sat Apr 13 08:12:20 PDT 2002

> In other
> cases, I sometimes think that some folks are hesitant to look silly
> by asking the question they want to, so they don't. So, I figure I'll
> go ahead and ask the question, and take the chance of looking silly.
> But the question gets asked. Sometimes even if I already think I
> know the answer I will ask. Again, it gets asked and sometimes the
> answer is not as simple as I thought it was.

My teachers, in my younger days, knew well that I would deliberately ask
questions to which I KNEW the answers, because I knew someone ELSE
didn't. This was particularly true in my bio and chem classes, where I
was generally far ahead of the pack, tutoring several people (under the
euphemism "study group"), and knew what they did and did not know. With
one teacher in particular, this developed into a bit of a conspiracy.
"If no one else does, I want you to ask THIS at THAT point in the
lesson."