[Sca-cooks] Re: Mastic for Stefan

Philippa Alderton phlip_u at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 14 22:51:03 PDT 2002

--- Stefan li Rous <stefan at texas.net> wrote:

> > From Cariadoc's Mexcellany, the cooking section,
> the
> > following recipes contain mastic:

Looks like Cariadoc has expanded his Arabic recipes
since Margali got her copy- might need to get the
newest version. Cariadoc, wasn't there a Morroccan
recipe in the 8th edition? I was looking for it to
post for the lady who was looking for Morroccan
recipes, but npow I can't find it.

> > Aha, you say- so far this shows mastic only in
> Arabic
> > cookery, but not European?
>
> Up to this point that was occuring to me...

Well, why not list it as an ingredient very common in
Medieval Arabic cookery, particularly in regards to
lamb and red meats, but occasionally used with fish or
chicken, and occasionally found in French cookery,
depending on trading habits? Almost every Arabic meat
recipe I found had mastic in it.

Phlip

=====
Never a horse that cain't be rode,