[Sca-cooks] Finding "period" Apples

Pixel, Goddess and Queen pixel at hundred-acre-wood.com
Tue Apr 16 08:30:02 PDT 2002

Honeycrisps are a new variety (and still horribly expensive for the few
weeks they are in season). They are wonderfully crisp, and I can only
describe their flavor as tasting like fresh apple cider. And they are only
available for a couple of weeks in the fall. Not only that, but if you
don't eat them right away they mellow and are less tart.

Haralsons are crisp and tart, with a bit more depth than a Granny
Smith. They aren't in any way period, though I use them in my apple
recipes because the people I am usually cooking for prefer tart apples,
and I feel that there is no reason to go through the trouble of redacting
a period recipe if nobody is willing to eat the finished product.

Margaret