[Sca-cooks] Around the Mediterranean in four easy courses...

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 19 00:50:02 PDT 2002

--- lilinah at earthlink.net wrote:
> Well, i did it, i bought Scully's Neapolitan cook
> book... It's for
> research purposes, really...

Yeah, right ... you ... you ... bibliophile!!! :-)

> He also requested baklava, which he knows isn't
> exactly "period". I
> can make something close by altering a "period"
> recipe or i can use a
> recipe from my Eastern Mediterranean modern pastry
> book (some of
> which are pretty close to the pastries in "the Book
> of the
> Description of Familiar Foods").

According to the Oxford Companion to Food, baklava has
roots going back to 14th century Azerbaijan, if I
recall correctly.  However, what baklava was then and
what it is now is very different, since filo/phylo
dough was developed in the late 17th century.  I
believe the original is said to have used thin
pancakes or very thinly slice bread.  You could give
him baklava, but in its original form.  Nuts in a
rosewater syrup between multiple layers of thin
pancakes/bread.

Huette

=====
shall never cease to be amused.