[Sca-cooks] olives/olive oil question

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Fri Apr 19 02:28:13 PDT 2002

Also sprach Susan Fox-Davis:
>I find only one reference online to using pits in the process of making olive
>oil, and that's at one very early style manucactury that crushes the whole
>olive pit and all, where they say the pit has a preservative effect.
><http://www.globalgourmet.com/food/egg/egg0397/stonecrush.html>
>
>Selene, Caid

Pomace olive oil is made largely from pits, which are ground and
heated before pressing. I suspect the idea of fine quality olive oil
_not_ being made, at least in part, from pits, is the result of a
misunderstanding of the process used to get the really good stuff.
Extra virgin olive oil isn't even really pressed at all, I gather,
except by gravity, so there's probably little or no pit compounds
present in the oil. I'm not aware of any pitting process used in the
making of olive oil, though.

Pomace olive oil actually can be very nice, AAMOF, and is a terrific bargain.

Adamantius, who now has to go look at Cato on the subject