[Sca-cooks] reading list

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Fri Apr 19 10:50:18 PDT 2002

Marilyn Traber wrote:

> Sheesh!
> Off the top of my head?
> Well, letsee -
> in the last 2 weeks -
> David Drake: Honor Harrington series - Ashes of Honor, Honor of the Queen,
> Echos of Honor, Flag in Exile and On Basilisk Station.

I've read these all too, because my friends all seem to like them.  They're
alright but I can't seem to warm up to them like most space-war buffs.  My
husband is crazy about them.  <shrug>

> Lois Bujold: Diplomatic Immunity, A Civil Campaign, Cetaganda, Shards of
> Honor, Komarr, Memory, Mirror Dance, Vor Game and Curse of Chalion.

Hey now, did you get one of the travelling reading copies of DI or have you
managed to get your own copy already?  And what do you mentally visualize as
"bug butter"?

> Bill Fitzhugh: CrossDressing, Pest Control and Organ Grinders.
> Tom Holt: Who's afraid of Beowolf

Arthur Byron Cover at Dangerous Visions bookstore introduced me to Holt's books
when I ran out of new Terry Pratchetts.  I've read "Expecting Someone Taller"
which I liked quite a bit, despite the title -- I get that reaction a lot.
<snerk>  LOTS of sci-fi fans in the SCA, beginning at the beginning.  Nowadays
it varies regionally, it's about 1/3 to 1/2 SF/gaming fans around here.

> Buell - Soup for the Qan. You neede a drool bucket - if you like lamb, there
> are some very interesting combinations of ingredients that I desperately
> want to try.

Oh me too!  There are a fair number of things that I have NO desire whatsover to
try as well.  A chac'un son gout, which is French for You like your goo, I like
my goo.

My bedside stack also includes the Time-Life International Series volume on
Provincial French Cuisine since it's by M.F.K. Fisher and her wonderful rich
rhetoric.  Unfortunately, the recipes are the same
scaled-back-for-stupid-Americans fare as most of the others in the series.
Sigh.

I'm also gearing up for my Midsummer Night's Feast, all-subtletie.  Nothing here
is what it seems!

Selene, Caid