[Sca-cooks] Fwd: mystery vegetable

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Sun Apr 21 09:00:38 PDT 2002

'Lainie wrote:
>It is a cool site- one of my faves. The brown things? At first I thought
>turnips, by size, but turnips are usually shown as white. Mushrooms could
>be, if they're big, but would they peel them? What is usually served with
>or in boar?

When i was collecting recipes for the German feast at the Boar Hunt,
Thomas Gloning kindly sent me a number of mushroom recipes in
Medieval German. He didn't have time to translate them, but i,
knowing virtually no German, did. I rather messed up one recipe, but
got the others pretty well (if you can read "Form of Curye" you can
muddle through a fair amount of Medieval German). I had a couple
folks double check them and correct my errors. Most of the recipes do
not use a word meaning "mushrooms" but rather specify the type of
mushroom, which i had a local SCAdian who grew up speaking German
track down for me.

So, i can say that at least the Germans often soaked mushrooms,
sometimes over night, and peeled them.

Anahita