[Sca-cooks] Fwd: mystery vegetable

phoenissa at netscape.net phoenissa at netscape.net
Sun Apr 21 12:53:20 PDT 2002

Mark Calderwood <mark-c at acay.com.au> wrote:

>What do you guys think the mystery vegetable is?
>
>Giles

Chestnuts?  I've seen several (modern/"traditional") French recipes for chestnuts stewed with boar and other game meats.  Maybe the guy in blue isn't actually peeling the mystery veggie; perhaps it's the fault of my computer screen, but the ones the men are holding look exactly the same color as the ones in the basket.  If they were peeled, wouldn't they look different?  If it's a chestnut, maybe he's just scoring it, so that after partial cooking it can be peeled easily.  And this is really a long shot, but...does the tree behind the two guys with the veggies look anything like a chestnut tree?  (I haven't seen one in years, and I can't really remember how they look.)

Vittoria
suddenly craving chestnuts...wish they were in season again!