[Sca-cooks] mystery vegetable

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Sun Apr 21 16:00:19 PDT 2002

Re: "The boar is cut up and the hounds are fleshed"
illumination  I think that the mystery objects are
truffles.
"Peasants tenaiciously search for truffles not because
they crave them particularly, but because rich men value
them greatly and pay well them." page 84 in The Four
Seasons of the House of Cerruti which is a translation
of the Tacuinum Sanitatis. The illumination that goes
along with the truffles description shows a brown non-
descript circular object being gathered into a basket.
They look like the ones shown in Gaston Phoebus's
Book of the Hunt. Toussaint-Samat in History of Food
notes that truffles were served at the wedding feast
of Charles VI of France and Isabeau in 1385.

Johnna Holloway  Johnnae llyn Lewis
By the way---
"fleshing  according to OED is "The action of inciting
(hounds) to the chase by giving them a taste
of flesh."