[Sca-cooks] Fwd: mystery vegetable

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Mon Apr 22 03:24:30 PDT 2002

Also sprach A F Murphy:
>I know I have seen directions to peel mushrooms if the skins are tough.
>Don't remember where - I have cookbooks dating to 1895, I think, so
>perhaps in one of my old ones. Never done it myself, and I have an idea
>it was presented as an optional, but  nice, touch.

Which, for non-toxic champignons, is just what it is. Of course, a
lot of the time on the 19th century mushrooms would be fluted anyway
(Stefan, this involves cutting decorative grooves into their upper
surface, sort of like a pinwheel or a Kaiser roll, which looks nice
when the mushroom caps are to be used whole) and this generally
involves the loss of most of the peel anyway.

Adamantius, who was taught in school to flute mushrooms, but not to peel them