[Sca-cooks] Re: Reply on Filo/baklava was Around the Mediterranean...

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 24 13:07:08 PDT 2002

Thank you for doing all this!  I am obviously going to
have to buy all the PPC's and get copies of his
articles.

To make sure that I understand what you have said,
Charles Perry has said that his articles in the Oxford
Companion of Food are inaccurate?  It is from his
articles in there where I learned about what was used
prior to filo.

Huette

--- johnna holloway <johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu>

http://www.slowfood.com/Slowfood_UpLoad/Riviste/SLOW/EN/23/phylo.html.
> [...]
> Food entries
> on "filo" and "baklava" which Charles Perry wrote
> for that work.
> Having followed his work beginning with its first
> appearance in
> PPC back in 1980,  I then reread all the various PPC
> issues
> that contained his various articles on this subject
> to date;
> also I reread his Oxford Conference papers on the
> subject that
> he has written through the years. I also reread his
> paper "The
> Taste for Layered Bread among the Nomadic Turks and
> the Central
> Asian Origins of Baklava" which was originally given
> at a 1992
> conference and then rewritten for publication in the
> volume
> edited by Zubaida and Tapper as Culinary Cultures of
> the Middle East.
>
> Having reread all this material, I then wrote to
> Charles Perry and
> asked him the following two questions:
>
> >"Does the Slow Food article misrepresent your work
> and do
> >you really feel that they used "thin pancakes or
> thinly
> >sliced bread" to make the archaic form of baklava
> that
> >was made in Azerbaijan?"
> >
> >He wrote back yesterday and said:
> >
> >"Dear Johanna,
> >        I don't think that Aglaia misrepresents my
> position,
> though she's reluctant, like most Greeks, to give
> the Turks any credit
> for inventing filo. "
>
> As for the question regarding whether or not
>  as Huette wrote "the primitive Azerbaijani baklava
> is made from "thin
> pancakes or thinly sliced bread,"
> he replied that this was a mistake  in that
> " It is made from thin sheets of
> stiffly kneaded dough; as you say, much like noodle
> paste."
>
> I didn't ask for permission to quote the rest of his
> letter
> including the more detailed discussion and I won't
> do so here. Most
> of his points are clearly laid out in the Culinary
> Cultures paper.
> There he states that there were thin doughs
> (although not paper thin)
> being used prior to the development of filo in the
> Topkapi Palace
> kitchens. The archaic form of baklava called  Baki
> pakhlavasi
> that was made by the Azabayjanis was a layered
> pastry of 15 layers,
> consisting of 8  noodle thick dough layers with 7 of
> nut filling.
> The Ottoman kitchens combined their skills with this
> archaic dish
> and came up with the paper thin dough now known as
> filo
> and this has led in turn to modern baklava.
>
> Hope this helps clear up some of the questions.

=====
shall never cease to be amused.