[Sca-cooks] Rice, was: The tastiest grape leaves

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Wed Apr 24 23:34:57 PDT 2002

At 10:54 PM 4/24/02 -0700, you wrote:

>    Until I lived in Hawaii, my only experience with rice was of the minute
>rice variety, usually either with butter on it, or as the prickly part of
>porcupine meatballs.    I didn't realize 'til later that most rice *should*
>be sticky.   The main exceptions to this rule in my kitchen are Cajun
>"dirty" rice, and saffron rice.   Otherwise, it's break out the rice
>cooker......

Ooo. When did you live in Hawaii? I was there '81-'82, and I learned from
everyone's Tutu that the sticky rice is mo bettah fo to eat wit chopsticks!
I learned that I love guava juice. Breadfruit sucked though. But I tried
all sorts of different ethnic foods, and some that were simply something
that Sifu's mom made or Mrs. Alofa learned from her mother. I learned not
to ask what it was. I also learned that they do some pretty ghastly things
to SPAM there, and then they... eat it. *gasp* I also picked up the habit
of chewing ice, which I am paying for now...

But it was so cool to walk into McDonalds and get a Green Onion Saimin
Noodles (ramen) and have bits of radish in there with the green onions. It
was amazing.

I probably have to go back for my youngest brother's wedding next year
(have to because my mom and I are on the outs and I can't stand my stepdad)
but I will defeinitely eat my way through the state!

'Lainie
-but glad for no more school lunches of portagee sausage on a roll...