[Sca-cooks] Not that Strange, was: It's quiet in here

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Thu Apr 25 09:30:32 PDT 2002

Olwen the Odd wrote:

> >At 10:44 PM 4/24/02 -0700, you wrote:
> >
> > >    I do have a habit of collecting strange and unusual recipes.    Most
> >of
> > >which I will never use, and some I have no desire to use.     The Cajun
> > >Haggis I want to try sometime.   The Fruit Cocktail-SPAM Buffet Party
> >Loaf,
> > >on the other paw, I have no desire to try.....or even be in the same room
> > >with.....
> > >
> > >    - Padraig o Connell

Padriag is the man who introduced me to the
"Gallery of Regrettable Foods" website and book.
He should know.
[Oh all right:  <http://www.lileks.com/institute/gallery/index.html>]

Since properly made haggis with steel-cut,
not squished, oats comes across as
oatmeal stuffing with lamb giblets,
I suppose a dash of Cajun spice would make a crowd-pleaser.

I'm not a Spam fan, but fruit with pig products
is a well-known good combination,
I've heard about [and occasionally been served]
weirder things from my household.
Present company included.

One of these days, I'm going to have to
go throughthe SCA-period cookbooks and find
some recipe for minced, cooked pig parts
and document Spam.  I'm sure it can be done.

Selene, Caid