[Sca-cooks] Brown Rice (was, converted rice)

Generys ferch Ednuyed generys at blazemail.com
Thu Apr 25 10:00:24 PDT 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Pixel, Goddess and Queen" <pixel at hundred-acre-wood.com>
To: <sca-cooks at ansteorra.org>
Sent: Thursday, April 25, 2002 12:47 PM
Subject: Re: [Sca-cooks] Brown Rice (was, converted rice)

> > Also sprach Avraham haRofeh:
> > >What Master A left out is that parboiling the rice before removing the
bran
> > >and germ also forces some of the nutrients from those outer layers into
the
> > >kernal. Converted rice is therefore (marginally) more nutritious than
plain
> > >polished white rice... but brown rice smokes 'em both nutritionally.
The
> > >cooking process and proportions are the same; converted rice needs
15-20%
> > >longer cooking times.
> >
> > Yes, I knew about the nutritive aspect but didn't bother to mention
> > it; the different cooking time was something I was aware of but
> > couldn't easily describe. It's probably covered by "Follow package
> > directions."
>
> Parboiled rice doesn't degenerate into mush the way regular white rice
> does, so you can't use it as a thickener, and it makes lousy pudding.

Hehehe... I discovered this much to my chagrin cooking a feast once... I was
making a version of Blancmange, that at the test feast, was a nice pie of
whole rice in a creamy sauce with chunks of chicken.   We put the rice for
this in the crock pot a *bit* to early, and came out with "rice mashed
potatoes"... Luckily they still tasted good, but...

Generys