[Sca-cooks] Re: [Sca-cooks]Was Celebrating birthdays--now Silly Mongolian BBQ

Elaine Koogler ekoogler1 at comcast.net
Fri Apr 26 06:58:35 PDT 2002

No.  It's actually a pun sort of thing.  Heralds deal in puns, known to them
as "canting".  Having an heraldic design that puns on your name is
considered a very fine, period practice.  So, because punning is part of
their job, they are considered to be free from any retribution
("pun"ishment) for their talent in this area.  This is stated as, "Heralds
are inviolate"...which of course led to the obvious pun...dressing heralds
in purple.  But that's mostly just a joke...SCA heralds do wear green.
However, many long years ago, we had a friend who made many, many,
absolutely horrible puns.  In order to save her from the many attempts on
her life, we decided to make her a herald, and presented to her, in court, a
purple herald's tabard!

So...as this happened in Atlantia, I would assume that the idea is SCA-wide!

Kiri