[Sca-cooks] Re: [Sca-cooks]Was Celebrating birthdays--nowSillyMongolian BBQ

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Fri Apr 26 10:33:49 PDT 2002

Yup, some fun.  The late Lord Goldwyn of Britain, my sometime downstairs
neighbor, wrote the first one "Our Kind" as a kind of SCA-spin on "Mankind," a
period mystery play warning about the dangers of sin and all that.  Likewise,
"Our Kind" warns about being too much like the stereotype characters in the
Society milieu.  And of course, where there is one there must be sequels.
Several of our guild members have mulled over the notion of a fourth, but
nothing's on paper yet.

We all get a kick out of the story that every time "Mistress Laurel Explains It
All At You" is performed, some duke always storms out of the place, being quite
sure that it was HIMSELF we were picking on with the character of Duke Paragon
The Perfect.  Actually, it was a combination of all the dukes we knew, honestly!

Did you ever go into a joke shop and try to buy ten rubber chickens?  That
was... interesting.

Goldwyn passed away due to a sudden heart attack at the age of about 45?  46? a
couple of years ago.  One moment he was laughing over lunch, the next he was
face down in his sandwich [food content?], boom, just like that.  There are
worse ways to go I suppose.  That was the /anno horribilis/ when about a
half-dozen Caidan notables died, all for different reasons, within the space of
half a year.  Very scary time.  You know we all went for physicals, started
eating right and exercising and all that... I need to get back to that. :-/

Selene, talking too much