[Sca-cooks] RE: A trick for growing period apple

Sandra Kisner sjk3 at admin.is.cornell.edu
Fri Apr 26 11:06:44 PDT 2002

>I'd recommend that the Poster who wanted to find Apple Rootstock Consider
>the "EMLA 27" variety. This is a lousy eating apple, but does well
>supporting grafts. The main advantage is that it never grows more than 15
>gfeet or so high, making picking easy.

     Actually, that was me, and I got the terminology backwards.  As His Grace surmised, I have a tree to graft onto, and what I need is scionwood.  There are certainly orchards (though non-period) in the area, but I doubt they'd like me to wander around cutting twigs.  I just might try grafting healthy twigs on the peach to different parts of the same tree.  If it works, great; if not, it's no great loss, as it's failing anyway.  It would also serve as practice.  I suspect I can get grafting wax at Agway or a nursery.

Sandra Kisner
sjk3 at cornell.edu