[Sca-cooks] glossary update

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Sat Apr 27 16:11:06 PDT 2002

At 06:37 PM 4/27/02 -0400, you wrote:

>>>storve - a verb - same source #127 "Storve myed wastel with cold ale"
>>
>>Storve is an obsolete form of starve.  I suspect that in this case the word
>>is being used to mean meager or poor.
>>
>>Bear
>
>Storve = starve doesn't fit the context. It's a recipe for caudle, which
>we're told not to let boil. "Storve myed wastel" comes in after we've
>carelessly let it boil. Now we have to fix it, so we're adding breadcrumbs
>soaked in ale to thicken it & make the egg clots less noticeable:
>
>[3]if that hit welle, as may be falle,
>[Th]us helpe hit [th]en I wot [th]ou schalle;
>Storve myed wastel with colde ale [th]en,
>And caste [th]er to, sethe hit I ken.
>
>If that it boils, as may befall,
>Thus help it then I know thou shall;
>Storve crumbled wastel [white bread] with cold ale then,
>And add thereto, seethe it I teach.
>
>>From the context and other recipes I'd guess it means either to soak the
>breadcrumbs in cold ale, or to sieve them.

How about _strew_?

The facsimile you're working from is not the _original_ text, but a fac
from the handwritten copy- it could be typesetting foo, especially since so
often the v/u is used interchangably. If it were typed 'Storue' it would be
easier to see the alternative. So if you strew your breadcrumbs with ale to
soften them and then add them to the pot...

At least it works for me.

'Lainie