[Sca-cooks] Fried Rice, was Chinese sausage

Philippa Alderton phlip_u at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 27 17:01:06 PDT 2002

--- Philip & Susan Troy <troy at asan.com> wrote:
> I never could figure it out, just going by recipes,
> but I'd never run
> across one with those specific instructions. They
> just say to fry it.
> For years I could not produce fried rice any better
> than my mother's
> (she of Irish/German extraction), and the shame was
> indescribable
> ;-). Finally I had the opportunity to carefully
> watch it being done
> in a tiny hole-in-the-wall Burmese takeout place in
> my neighborhood
> (since closed, on a black, black day), and realized
> that it was
> called fried rice was because it was _fried_ ;-), by
> which I mean
> that the actual cooking process is a major
> contributor to the flavor
> and texture.
>
> Otherwise you have gummy porridge!

This is one of those things where I just lucked out. I
had never made fried rice, although I enjoyed it,
until Dendai, a lady from the Philipines, made it with
some leftover rice, and she showed me how. Learned a
few good food things from that lady..... my favorite
is still how she taught me to fry fish, and enjoy the
whole thing, fish heads and all.....

Phlip

=====
Never a horse that cain't be rode,