[Sca-cooks] Re: Attracting & retaining new members (was mascopone)

Lis liontamr at ptd.net
Sat Apr 27 19:20:22 PDT 2002

Mari wrote:
(Olwen wrote)
>>Unfortunately, our Barony is e+tremely shy of single males over the >>age
of
>>about 25.  That is just too untrained for me.
>>Olwen who wishes they would start recruiting.
>
>>We seem to have the same problem over here in River Haven
>>(Brisbane, Queensland, Australia) - anyone know any particularly >>good
recipes for attracting and retaining the singles out there...? :-)

Sigh. Surely it is obvious. Snatch the pebble from my hand, grasshopper:

To catch tiddlers, one must use the correct bait. 'Course, to catch 'em at
any age, the bait consists of "cute things" in the vicinity of (and sighing
over men in) bring, shiny armor. One merely needs 2 fighters of any age, but
better if they are older fighters, a public place, and several cute young
things. So essentially one does a demo or two in the college area, then
moves those enthusiastic new members in a demo uptown to the park across
from the professional buildings. Take pictures. Have professional friends
pass pictures around at work. Make all your friends talk about your unusual
hobby to their acquaintances. Man, I've been a seneschal for waaaaaay too
long. See, I know this through experience: you have to purposely build your
group the way you want it to be. So if you want to attract slightly older
men with jobs to your group, GO DEMO WHERE THEY ARE.

Now, me, I like 'em slightly older than those 25 year old tiddlers. Men and
wine improve with age, if properly allowed to mellow. Especially those
hellions who began life with a knife between their teeth, and approach older
life with a sense of adventure. Sigh. They mellow *very* nicely ;)

Aoife,
a card carrying member of AARP through marriage at the ripe old age of 39.