[Sca-cooks] RE:capon-neck sausage

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sat Apr 27 20:42:11 PDT 2002

Cindy replied to my questions with:
> It's not all that uncommon to use the raw neck skin to make a roasted
> sausage. This is commonly served with the bird. It's easy to slip the skin
> off the raw neck.

Okay, serving it with the chicken makes sense. This also means it is
a fresh sausage and not a preserved one.

> Here's one recipe from Harleian MS. 279 - Leche Vyaundez:
>
> xxxiiij.  Poddyng of Capoun necke.  Take Percely, gysour, & [th]e leuer of
> [th]e herte, & perboyle in fayre water; [th]an choppe hem smal, & put raw
> [3]olkys of Eyroun .ij. or .iij. [th]er-to, & choppe for-with.  Take Maces
> & Clowes, & put [th]er-to, & Safroun, & a lytil pouder Pepir, & Salt; &
> fille hym vppe & sew hym, & lay him a-long on [th]e capon Bakke, & prycke
> hym [th]er-on, and roste hym, & serue f[orth].
>
> 34.  Pudding of Capon neck.   Take Parsley, gizzard, & the liver and the
> heart, & parboil in fair water; then chop them small, & put raw yolks of
> Eggs two or three thereto, & chop forthwith.  Take Maces & Cloves, & put
> thereto, & Saffron, & a little powdered Pepper, & Salt; & fill him up & sew
> him, & lay him along on the capon's Back, & stick/skewer him thereon, and
> roast him, & serve f[orth].

This bothers me some. I don't really see any filling other than
the liver and the heart. It says fill him up, but it doesn't seem
like the liver and gizzard from one chicken would be enough to
fill up the neck from the same chicken. Maybe the egg yolks help
fill it out some, but still doesn't seem like much stuffing.

   Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net