[Sca-cooks] Re: [Sca-cooks]Milks was Caramel Laura Secord

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Sun Apr 28 18:07:17 PDT 2002

Terry Decker wrote:>
> I was under the impression it was.
 I seldom use either product, so what is
> the precise difference?> Bear
>
> >Bear, your answer sounds confusing...> >
> >Unsweetened condensed milk is not the same as evaporated milk.
----------------------------
The modern answer is that they aren't the same--
from: http://www.eaglebrand.com/index.cfm
The Difference Between Sweetened Condensed Milk
And Evaporated Milk
Eagle Brand Sweetened Condensed Milk is
 completely different from evaporated milk.
Evaporated milk cannot be substituted for Eagle
 Brand recipes. You will see that we indicate not
 to use Evaporated Milk in Eagle Brand Recipes.
 We note this because while Evaporated Milk is
 ok in certain types of recipes calling for Evaporated
Milk, it does not perform the same as Sweetened
Condensed Milk and if used can actually
spoil a recipe calling for Eagle Brand
Sweetened Condensed Milk.
To better understand and see the real difference
between Evaporated Milk and Sweetened Condensed Milk
 try this simple test. In one bowl, add lemon juice
 to some Evaporated milk and blend. You will see that
 the Evaporated Milk and lemon juice mixture curdles and
separates. Now, try the same experiment in another
 bowl with Eagle Brand Sweetened Condensed Milk and
 add lemon juice and blend. You will see that the
 Eagle Brand and lemon juice when blended together
 form a velvety smooth mixture, which will continue
 to thicken with further blending. Evaporated milk
 is intended for different types of recipes. In
 all Eagle Brand recipes, only use Eagle Brand
 Sweetened Condensed. Milk. This lemon
 juice experiment is also an example of why
 Eagle Brand makes such light and fluffy
 cheesecakes."

Pet Evaporated Milk's history is given at
http://www.petevaporatedmilk.com/history/
where it mentions that it was used as baby
formula by 1895.
Carnation's history is at:
http://www.verybestbaking.com/brands/carnation.asp

Hope this helps---