[Sca-cooks] demi-glace

Gorgeous Muiredach muiredach at bmee.net
Sun Apr 28 19:32:33 PDT 2002

>So, what IS the differance between a reduced brown stock and a
>demi-glace? Other than that one has a fancy French name and costs
>more?

Ahhhh well.  Lessee....

Brown stock is the basis for both the reduced and the demi glace.

A "classic" demi glace is the "Espanole" at its supreme degree of
perfection.  I had to write that 500 times as I forgot it for a test and
the prof thought it was an important thing.

Of course, that involves knowing what an Espanole is...  Basically, brown
stock thickened with brown roux (flour/butter), with other aromatic
elements such as mushroom, celeri, some tomato paste, etc...

Then to finish a demi glace, you would cook the Espanole some more, and add
Madeira.  This is rarely done anymore.  I'd venture to say post 1600, way
post.

Hope this helps...

Gorgeous Muiredach
Rokkehealden Shire