[Sca-cooks] demi-glace

Gorgeous Muiredach muiredach at bmee.net
Mon Apr 29 07:25:14 PDT 2002

Master A.  Wrote:

>I was taught that the classic Espagnole was made with brown stock,

<SNIP>

Thank you for going more in depth where my fried brain wasn't going :-)

>Demiglaze, at least according to most of the recipes I've seen,
>involve taking sauce espagnole, adding an equal volume of additional
>brown stock, and reducing it back to the volume of the original sauce
><SNIP> So, it is essentially a super-flavorful, somewhat
>finer-textured version of espagnole, with a better flavor, lighter
>and clearer, and yet also richer (more gelatin, etc.).

The way I was taught it was to use madeira instead of the brown stock, but
at that point, it's really in the details.  Come to think of it, isn't it
always? :-)

Just let's not confuse demi-glace with glace, the later being reduced
solely by reduction.

>[* with the exception of Bobby Flay, who, while not a French chef,
>has never worked a day in a kitchen in his life...]

I would have to concur with Adamantius here.  Now, there's one who along
with Emeril really grates on my nerves, and whom, unlike Emeril, appears to
have no cooking concepts whatsoever, plus he's an *ssh*le :-)

Gorgeous Muiredach
Rokkehealden Shire
Kingdom of the Middle
aka