[Sca-cooks] ladybugs

Angie Malone alm4 at cornell.edu
Tue Apr 30 06:36:54 PDT 2002

Don't know where you all are but here in Central New York we have been
infested with a different breed of lady bugs than the reddish colored ones
with the black spots.  These are more of an orange color with black
spots.  They aren't smart enough to fly south, so they infest houses and
hatch.  A few weeks ago when we had 80 degree weather here we were going
nuts with the problem you are having.  I think these are one of the few
bugs a bug zapper would be good for.  They would go for the heat it gives
out and get zapped.  I have one of those lights that the manufacturer gave
out free guards after they were tipping over and catching things on fire
that I had to clean out the bugs every day so they wouldn't catch on
fire.  It was totally gross.

The infestation of lady bugs is so bad the cooperative extension has made a
bulletin about them.

http://www.cce.cornell.edu/factsheets/pest-fact-sheets/lady-beetle.html

         Angeline