Fw: [Sca-cooks] Tornadoes in Maryland

Olwen the Odd olwentheodd at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 30 10:41:37 PDT 2002

I was at an event in St. Mary's county several years ago for the Baronial
Hunt.  We have laughingly referred to it at the hundred mile and hour feast.
  Our guild was cooking for the event which was held outdoors.  We had up
our 20x30 pavillion top which we had set up under for prep and cooking next
to the permanent structure (cement slab and roof) where feast was to be
served.  A twister came through within a mile or so.  Tents, garments,
wares, everything went flying.  The wind grabbed out pavillion and twisted
the aluminum poles.  We had one fellow inside the thing on a table holding
it up as many of us grabbed ropes and edges and others scurried flame
sources, food, pans and everything else out from under.  Group para-sailing
did ensue.  There were times that one or more of us were airborne (and we
are not lightweights).  To the amazement and delight of all, feast was only
20 minutes late.  And the nuts were dry.
Olwen who had to retrieve her tent from a tree