[Sca-cooks] medieval Japanese [food] for the total novice..

Barbara Nostrand nostrand at comp10291.potsdam.edu
Thu Aug 1 14:44:16 PDT 2002

Noble Cousins!

Greetings from Solveig!

> The History and Culture of Japanese Food - $110.00
> Naomichi Ishige.

This book does not have recipes.

For those of you interested in Ryorimonogatari. The text contains quite
a few obsolete or otherwise obscure words for some of the plants and
animals appearing in the work. Also, in some cases, even the
authoritative Plant and Animal dictionaries available do not distinguish
between some of the entrees appearing in Ryorimonogatari giving the same
entry for each.

There are a number of other intersting food sources in Japanese. Many
of these appear in ZGR 19.3. Also, there is the emaki on the debate
between food and drink which is available in microfilm, the dietary
regulations of Dogen, and the dietary manual in Ishinpo. There is
undoubtedly a lot more. I am still trying to get a copy of the microfilm,
and I have to make a trip to a research library to copy the correct book
of Ishinpo although I have already copied a couple of them. Ishinpo is
in classical Chinese, but was written in Japan.

Of the three versions of Ryorimonogatari which I have, I think that the
one in ZGR is the most useful as it is a transcription of the monjo. I
have a facsimile of the monjo, but it is difficult to work with. The
translation into modern Japanese published a while back is also worth
looking at, but I think that ZGR is a better source to work from.

						Your Humble Servant
						Solveig Throndardottir
						Amateur Scholar

ZGR = Zoku Gunsho Ruiju