[Sca-cooks] Byzantine Cuisine

Debra Hense DHense at ifmc.org
Fri Aug 9 16:47:22 PDT 2002

For those who requested it, and others who haven't gotten to it yet,
more detailed info about the Byzantine book that Master Demetrios has
written.
If you wish to contact him via e-mail - I can forward your e-mail to
ml.

Kateryn de Develyn
dhense at ifmc.org

The primary source texts are those of Hierophile, Simeon Seth, and the

Prodromic poems (the former two translated from the French and the
latter,
from French and German).  The secondary Sources are an article by
Jeanselme
and Oeconomos (translated from the French) and Two Chapters of
Koukoule's
massive tome, "Byzantine Life and Civilization (translated from the
Greek).
I have also presented 100 redacted recipes.  I have taken information
from
these sources, as well as others to offer a systematic review of what
specific types of cereals, meats, vegetables, poutry, fish, etc. were
eaten
and what preparation techniques were used.  While there is limited
information about dining customs, I have presented information about
table
utensils, servants, types of dining arrangements and some information
on
manners.

The book is finished.  You can order Byzantine Cuisine for $37.75,
including
packaging, shipping and handling (with the 48 States).  Its a 450 page
book
which contains descriptions of food available, cooking practices and
dining
customs, plus translations of 3 primary sources and 2 secondary
sources.
 Send check or money order to Henry Marks, 1270 Montecello Dr, Eugene,

OR, 97404.

Demetrios