[Sca-cooks] You know you're a food geek when....

Patrick McKinnion patgund at earthlink.net
Fri Aug 9 22:53:10 PDT 2002

    Met a lady that I recently started courting for dinner tonight.    She
had a friend down from the Bay Area, and we were trying to solve the eternal
question of "where do we eat".    He suggested a Ethiopian Restaurant.
Since neither of us had ever been to one, it sounded good.

    While I confess I'm not sure about the teff-based injera bread, (a
gray-purple flat bread with the texture of foam rubber, which you use to eat
the food), the Doro Wat, (A peppery Chicken and Hard Boiled egg stew) was
very good.

    However, I caught myself doing exactly what I do anytime I try a new
food - try to identify the spices.   Garlic and ginger were there, along
with sage, cardamom, cinnamon, paprika and cayenne pepper.   I then started
to do a mental contrast and compare with some of the period dishes I've
made, and gee, how can I get this effect with chicken stew, and how well
would these spices work with rice.......

    What I would love to do is figure out the garlic collard greens.   I
hate collard greens - but will make an exception in this case.   Yum!

    - Padraig o Connell

"After a night of bliss with Scotty below decks, Sulu did his best to
maintain an air of professionalism...but oh, those hands, that magnificant
shock of black hair and that faint, alluring smell of dilithium..."