[Sca-cooks] RE: Contribution to SCA-potluck

Louise Smithson helewyse at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 21 13:32:54 PDT 2002

I have to confess to bringing the brussel sprouts in a
pipkin.  There is no true redaction for this recipe
yet just a rough guide based on what I did at Pennsic
in 20 minutes before the potluck.

Original recipe taken from Libro Del Coch (14/15th C
Italian).
If you want to make cabbage sprouts, take the cabbage
sprouts rounded and do them to cook a while; when the
are a little boiled take them from (the fire) and pour
well away the water, and then fry them much and fat,
and then take verjuice, parsley and water, and spices
and salt, temper these all together and put above (the
sprouts) and let them well boil.  Then take a little
of marjoram and temper with water, and put it above
and it will be good.

What I had:
1 lb bag frozen brussel sprouts, dropped in cast iron
pan (they were still frozen at this point) on stove
with a big splash of olive oil and fried until lightly
browned in places.
Meanwhile I was mashing a handful of parsley with a
good pinch of salt and easily 1/2 teaspoon of spice
mixture (cinnamon, ginger, sugar, black pepper), about
2 tablespoons of verjuice and maybe 10 or so of water.
 Once everything had been rendered paste like I threw
it on the sprouts, added a little more water so that
they were just covered, reduced the heat and cooked it
some more.  I then tasted one, added some more salt
and spices and a little bit more verjuice (another
tablespoon or two).  I let the sauce mostly reduce
until the brussels were hot and starting to become
tender. Then poured them into the pipkin, got the ones
that would not fit eaten by the lovers of sprouts in
my camp and headed down the hill to SPCA.
As for the rest of my Pennsic: I had a great time but
as usual it went too fast and I missed many things
that I wanted to do.
I made a grand total of 1 class, never managed to make
it back to talk to Olwen at her camp (I tried twice),
did do some cool pottery firings on the top of Mt
Eislin, spent too much money with the merchants, got
my car towed (not a good thing), got hot, got cold,
got dirty, got clean.  And I'm still doing laundry
(only 9 loads!).
Helewyse de Birkestad