[Sca-cooks] Re: Swedish cooking

Kristina L Klingler kristinaolaffsdotter at juno.com
Sat Aug 24 11:34:38 PDT 2002

> Have you seen the menus posted at the Olde Cookery Book website?
> They're from the household of Hans Brask, a 16th century Swedish
> bishop.
> http://www.bahnhof.se/~chimbis/tocb/recipes/menus/brask/index2.html

Yup.  Thanks.
I've got the general idea of what they ate.  And with some creativity,
some trial and error, and a whole lot of prayer, I can come up with
something like what I think they would eat.  However, if I wanted to
offer a documented recipe to go along with a dish, I wouldn't be able to
do so at this point.
For my upcoming event, we're going to do recipes from Een lijten
kockebook and just call it good.

My current plan of action:  Just sucking it up and learning swedish.  And
then spending wads of money importing books.

> You might also want to email the site's author,
> Martin Skj=F6ldebrand, since he is a
> Swede with an interest in historical cooking.

I'll try that, thanks.

> there's at least one recipe that has made it, nearly unchanged
> into modern Scandinavian cuisines. There may be others.

there are.  Ärter med Fläsk is a good example.  although they usually add
potato now.

Thanks for the help!

Kristina Olåffsdotter aff Rejäl Fästningsgrej
No single raindrop believes it is to blame for the flood.