[Sca-cooks] TASTES OF ANGLO-SAXON ENGLAND

Wanda Pease wandap at hevanet.com
Sat Aug 24 17:55:29 PDT 2002

We were talking about this book back in July.  I went out of town for work
and finally got and looked at my copy.  If anyone is still thinking about
purchasing a copy I don't recommend it.

The author gives no original sources.  She mentions that the Anglo Saxons
left no cookbooks but it easy (!) to determine what they ate in general
terms.  She then goes on to combine those known foodstuffs into recipes in a
manner we would all recognize as "well, they had the ingredients, so they
could have put them together this way" cooking.  I've used that approach in
years past, and I'm sure other members of the list have too (and sometimes
still do!).  Still, it's disappointing.

By the way, honeybutter is declared "Period" and a recipe given.

Regina Romsey
Red meat isn't bad for you. Fuzzy Blue-Green meat is bad for you...