[Sca-cooks] Salamanders

Mark S. Harris stefan at texas.net
Sun Aug 25 15:45:16 PDT 2002

Gorgeous Muiredach the Odd said:
> Salamanders can be used for flash heating plates, flash cooking thin pieces
> of meat/fish, and doing au gratin or gratinee on many items.

Interesting. Various uses I hadn't considered. Why and when would you
want to flash heat plates? I assume you mean the plates that the food
is served on? So that you don't have a cold plate cooling down the
food? So the customer thinks the food is fresh off the stove instead
of having been sitting in a warming oven?
 From what you've said, it sounds like the commercial salamanders are
hotter than the broiler under home stoves, so is this why you
specifically mention flash cooking "thin" pieces of meat/fish? I
thought the home broilers were useful for such things as grilling
pork chops and such. Which doesn't sound like flashing cooking as
it takes multiple minutes. And I've found, don't work well for
fatty sausages. :-)
I thought "au gratin" was done in an oven. Are you suggesting doing
all the cooking in the salamander? Or baking this and then just
browning it under the salamander? What is "gratinee"? I assume
something similar to "au gratin" but....

Stefan
    Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net