[Sca-cooks] Re: Sca-cooks digest, Vol 1 #2322/Rhachitis

Elizabeth A Heckert spynnere at juno.com
Sun Aug 25 21:20:43 PDT 2002

On Sun, 25 Aug 2002 22:07:01 -0500 sca-cooks-request at ansteorra.org
writes:
> From: Philippa Alderton <phlip_u at yahoo.com>
> Subject: [Sca-cooks] Rhachitis

> Rhachitis refers to inflammation of the spine, but is
> most commonly used to refer to rickets, which is a
> bone deformation disease usually found in children,
> indicating a lack of calcium, and/or vitamin D, or an
> inability to process these nutrients. Yes, it can
> appear in the hips, or any other bone structure that's
> weight-bearing, but in an absolute sense, simply
> refers to an inflammation of the spine.

     What would a "flat, rhachitic pelvis" be then???   The only time
I've seen rickets was in a little vegan boy--he looked like a tiny Jack
Tar who was still aboard ship...  He had to go about in a wheelchair for
a while once he was diagnosed, while he was being treated for the
deficiency.

     I am wondering about a flat rhachitic pelvis because that is how a
female skeleton was described who is wearing one of the many-gored
dresses recovered in Herjolfsnes, Greenland.  Her dress from the back
flares out and down--not what I would associate with flat.

     Is 'angelica archangelica' the herb angelica??  Nothing was
capitalized in the text, so I am not clear if this is a Latin name.
(Trying to get some food content in--)

     Thanks!

     Elizabeth