[Sca-cooks] honeyed milk

Harris Mark.S-rsve60 Mark.s.Harris at motorola.com
Mon Aug 26 17:12:11 PDT 2002

Phlip commented:
I did scan Platina, since I've noticed a fair amount
of similarities between Platina and Anthimus, but
there was no honey butter mentioned, although honey
was mixed with milk to prevent the milk from spoiling.
------------

Interesting. Has anyone tried this? Did it keep the
milk from spoiling? Honey has some anti-bacterial
properties but it also has to do with its density
where through osmosis it draws the water out of the
bacteria and thus kills it. But that depends upon
having a fairly high concentration of honey. That is
why you have to dilute honey to make mead. But to
preserve the milk, it seems like you would have to
have a very high proportion of honey.

I wonder how you would have used such milk? Or how
you could use it today. Since honey was so much more
expensive than milk, like using imported spices to
cover the taste of bad meat, the use of this sounds
unlikely. I think I will just stick to keeping my
milk in a cool ice chest or in those sealed boxes
for events.

Stefan li Rous
stefan at texas.net