[Sca-cooks] Registering for the Florilegium

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Fri Aug 30 00:14:04 PDT 2002

  Gorgeous Muiredach the Odd said:

> First, folks PLEASE change the header when you change the topic!  I had
> stopped reading the thread.

Didn't think you would stop reading a thread right after posting to it.
And I didn't think my comments rated starting a new thread. Seemed a
bit egotistical or something. Okay. New thread.

>>>Hmmm. Does this mean that if I changed the Florilegium to subscription
>>>only, that you wouldn't register?
>
> I'd have to consider.  What benefit going to subscription only would there
> be?  Are you thinking of making it a paying site to help you recuperate
> costs of running it?  Are you thinking about providing features available
> to subscribers only?  Why do you want to do that?

I was considering it a few years ago. Or adding some very targeted
advertising. Yes, there is monetary cost in running the Florilegium as
well as a lot of time involved.

But no, I've never done much along these lines and web advertising seems
to be going downhill currently. No, mainly I was pulling your leg after
you declared so much that you wouldn't sign up for another site.

I might someday see about implementing a "cookie" thing, so that when
you arrived at the site, the site could indicate which files had been
updated or were new since you were last there. Lots of things I'd like
to do, but usually adding to and updating the real information takes
precedance.

> I personally have a problem with having to register everywhere I go to get
> information.

Ras, a long time list member who has vanished, unfortunately, had a
similar opinion although a bit more strongly. He basically seemed to
think that all information should be free, if I'm remembering correctly.

> Of course, if I want the information bad enough, I'll be a good little
> lemur and subscribe.  The Florilegium is a location where I want the
> information bad enough.

Good. See, really I'm just so egotistical that, that was what I really
wanted to hear. :-)

> BTW, Stefan, you never answered the off list mail
> I sent you about your site...
Oops. Yes, that makes two messages from you that I'm supposed to

get back to you on. Maybe tomorrow or this weekend. I often don't
have much time left after reading this list and I wanted to give
you well-thought out replies.
    Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net