[Sca-cooks] Kitchen Tool Box list

Christine Seelye-King kingstaste at mindspring.com
Fri Aug 30 07:07:27 PDT 2002

	I have been asked to provide a list of things that should go into a kitchen
tool box, much like the one I carry that I started while working in
professional kitchens.  So, I figured I could start with a list of what was
in mine, but that it also might prove an entertaining as well as potentially
useful exercise to post it for comment and additions here.
	The things I've listed are those that live in the box, I usually add
knives, spoons, wooden utensils, and job-specific tools when I travel with
it.
Christianna

Sturdy metal toolbox, with reliable clasps, and a lift-out drawer
(I line both the drawer and the bottom with foil, then clean and replace
that periodically)

Drawer contents:
paring knife
fruit knife
boning knife
3(!)measuring spoon sets
	(probably don't need all of those in there...)
Small pastry spatula/spreader
wooden handled small pastry brush
plastic handle molded into the likeness of a chef pastry brush 	(it's new, I
bought it at Trader Horn's at Pennsic)
pizza cutter
parisian scoop (double-headed melon baller)
garlic press
(2)nut/crustacean crackers
(2)nut picks
pocket meat thermometer
ceramic sharpening rod
small sharpening stone
small sharpening steel
small corkscrew
church key
pastry tip set
(2)vegetable peelers
citrus juicer
band-aid box
pen, marker
(2)small screwdrivers
butcher glove (a gift to my lord after his umteenth knife injury)
50 cents
(should have a nail file in there, I find them very useful for both taking
care of ripped fingernails and for filing small protrusions)

Lower Box contents

tower grater
large tongs
small tongs
apple corer/slicer (round)
large chopsticks
(3) chef's knives, various sizes (when I travel, these get augmented with my
favorite kitchen knives)
serrated Ginsu-type knife
Quikut,Inc. serrated knife (purported to be able to saw down small trees and
through blocks of ice, if need be)
all-purpose blade/hammer/bashing tool
large sharpening steel
measuring cup set