perfume and stuff wasRe: [Sca-cooks] Feast Ambience - incense

Gorgeous Muiredach muiredach at bmee.net
Thu Aug 1 15:22:58 PDT 2002

At 06:08 PM 8/1/2002, you wrote:
> > Oh yes, I'm with you there. No problems with incense, in fact I find it
> > rather pleasant and relaxing, but I have a very nasty reaction to most
> > perfumes nowadays - my throat swells, my breathing becomes difficult and I
> > break out almost instantly in a very painful prickly red rash on my face. I
> > used to be a major fan of Chanel #5, Fendi, Red Door and other such scents,
> > but now I can't even stand next to someone on the Tube who's used a little
> > too much perfume (and it's amazing the number of women who can't tell the
> > difference between scenting themselves and marinating
> themselves)[oblig.food
> > content].
>
>Hm. sounds like you may be allergic to one or more synthetics that are
>used in perfume. In fact, you might be allergic to something that has
>recently become synthetic-only. [Civet, for instance, though I doubt
>there's civet in Red Door.]

I just picked up this thread, haven't read past post, but just based on
this one....  I'd say what's being described is "commonly" known as
chemical intolerance.

http://www.uswaternews.com/books/bksbycategory/4iEnvCheGeneral/ci0849389267.html

In the disability community/field, we are seeing more and more of
this.  One of the reason we often request people to refrain from wearing
perfumes or scented products.

This is more and more current, and affects people in a variety of ways,
from having a hard time dealing with some perfumes, to being unable to be
within 20 feet of someone using "Tide" as a laundry detergent..

It can be in the range of a recognized disability, when for example, your
landlord uses one type of tile glue that can make you sick, despite the
tiles being put on the first floor and you living on the 3rd floor
(recently won a battle on that one in Illinois).

Feel free to contact me off list for more information muiredach at bmee.net

Gorgeous Muiredach the Odd
Shire of Forth Castle
Meridies