[Sca-cooks] Everquest drunken trolls

Michael Gunter countgunthar at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 5 10:55:03 PDT 2002

>Naw....I was asking about starting Everquest because I was wondering
>which game one buys to start playing? I think I've seen several in the
>stores? And some of you've been talking about different servers...how
>do you know which one to pick? do you get a choice? do you have to
>have it all pre-arranged to start an adventure with a bunch of
>friends, or what?

>--Maire

I would suggest you go ahead and get the "three pack" complete
versions of the game. They aren't that expensive and you will
have full access to all the areas. That way you won't be feeling
left out as people go off to areas you don't even have loaded.
When you buy the game you get a month of free play to decide
if you like it. If you wish to continue after that you will
pay a small fee month-to-month of around $12.

There are several servers. I would suggest you select a "blue"
server which means there can be no direct fighting between
player characters unless in agreed upon duels. This eliminates
the newbie player ganking that became so notorious in games
such as Ultima Online. Do not choose a PvP server until you
decide you like that kind of thing and are more experienced
in EQ. Other than that, the servers are up to you.

Also, decide what you want to be. There is a lot of information
out there of the various races and classes. You can be human,
troll, barbarian, ogre, lizardman, cat, elf, half-elf, dark
elf, wood elf (they like elves), dwarf or gnome. All have
advantages and disadvantages.

You can be a druid, fighter, magician, enchanter, cleric, shaman,
beastlord, wizard, bard, paladin, shadowknight or rogue.

You can also be all of these. You can have all kinds of combinations
until you find the one that fits you. I tried several characters
until I settled on my Barbarian Shaman. But I still go and
play the others at times.

You don't have to know anyone or pre-arrange anything to get
into the games. There is a nice tutorial in the game to give
you the basic information as well as a ton of websites and
help books. I highly suggest you get one of the help books
to show you the ropes. Higher level players are usually very
good to true newbies. Most times when they realize that you
really are brand new to the system, higher levels will
show new folks the ropes and sometimes give them money or
items to assist them in the lower levels. NEVER ASK FOR MONEY
OR ITEMS. You may hear of folks begging higher levels but you
get a bad rep for it. You can ask for help or information and
most times you will get an answer and assistance. Also, many
of the lower levels you meet are really higher level players
starting over new characters. They can be an invaluable help.

Although every large community has its share of jerks and
griefers (the SCA included) most folk in EQ are pretty cool
and cut newbies a lot of slack. We're all there to have fun
but it (like the SCA) is a community where reputation is also
coin of the realm. Someone who is a major jerk will be treated
as such and for every jerk there are 1,000 very cool folk.

Get the game, or find some friends who have it and watch them
for a while, log on and enjoy. You will be very confused for
a while but people there will help you out. Just think about
going to Pennsic as a newbie.

It's fun. It's addictive. And it's different.

Yers,

Gunthar