[Sca-cooks] Cracked Barley

Mon Aug 5 12:49:53 PDT 2002

> For the polenta, you might also try millet. I'm trying to
> figure out a way
> to make the thing work with Feta (it's the first time I cook
> with millet,
> alas!), I can keep you informed if you're interested.
>
> Petru

Here's my contribution to your millet polenta.  The finer the millet meal,
the less problem with crumbling.  Roasting the millet improves the flavor.

You could sprinkle feta on top of the loaf or stir some into the gruel
before putting it the bowl.

Baric's Polenta

Take 1 cup of millet and crush it (I ran mine through a spice grinder).
Put 3 cups of water and 1 teaspoon of salt in a pan. Bring to a boil.
Dissolve 1/4 cup honey in the boiling water.
Add the millet and cook until the mixture is stiff and the water is
absorbed.
Scrape the mixture into a bowl and allow to cool and set up (refrigeration
works best, but the loaf can be cooled on the counter).
When the loaf is cool, put a plate over the bowl and invert plate and bowl.
The loaf should drop onto the plate.
Slice the loaf with a fine cord and serve it forth.

> BTW, has anyone actually seen a "period" recipe for barley polenta? I
> thought the historical original was with semolina... However, there's
> a wheat allergy issue at the feast (i think it's the Bard of the
> Mists own lady), so i'm trying to find a historically plausible
> substitute, and he suggested barley...
>
> Anahita

Not exactly "period," but certainly available in period, is Pliny's recipe
for barley polenta.

Bear

Barley Polenta

(Pliny, Naturalis Historia, 18, 73, as taken from Giacosa, A Taste of
Ancient Rome)

Vicenis hordei libris ternas seminis lini et coriandri selibram salisque
acetabulum.

For each 20 librae of barley, 3 librae of linseeds and 1/2 libra of
coriander, in addition to an acetabulum of salt.

Serves 4.

12 oz. ground barley
3 Tbs. linseeds
2 tsp. coriander
sufficient salt

Boil 1 quart of water, gradually add the ingredients, and leave to cook for
approximately 1 hour. Add more boiling water if the barley consumes too
much. A more flavorful polenta can be obtained by cooking the barley in
meat stock or vegetable broth instead of water.