[Sca-cooks] mincemeat pies

Olwen the Odd olwentheodd at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 5 19:00:37 PDT 2002

>Gunthar asked:
>
>>I suggested on the judges' sheet that the presenter explain
>>where this dish would have been presented so to decide
>>whether the dish should be delicate or hearty.
>>
>>What is your thoughts on a 16c mincemeat pie?
>
>Is there any indication of whether the crust is to be eaten or
>not? If the crust is to be eaten, then I would think smaller meat
>bits or shredded meat. It's hard to spoon out a piece of the crust
>along with meat and gravy if the meat is in a big chunk.
>
>On the otherhand, if the pie crust in this case is just a container,
>the insides would have been spooned onto another dish for serving
>or eating. There are pie recipes if I remember correctly that have
>large chunks of birds (half? whole? small birds) as well as whole
>or halfed fruit. If the contents are to be placed on another plate
>where they can then be cut up smaller then they could have been
>larger than single bite size.
>
>--
>THLord Stefan li Rous    Barony of Bryn Gwlad    Kingdom of

Actually, it never really occured to me before, but you may have a good
point.  If they really didn't want something 'stewed', but rather baked in a
sauce but did not want the taste of the metal pan, or the colouration it
would leave on either the food or the pan, then, certainly, baking something
in a crust would solve that.
Olwen