[Sca-cooks] Regional names for common egg dish...

Ciorstan ciorstan at attbi.com
Tue Aug 6 23:02:48 PDT 2002

Magister Adamantius writes:

> However, my sister, who lives in Israel, just wrote to me and
> announced that she'd just discovered that one of our childhood
> breakfast staples, which we called a Hole In One, and which consists
> of a slice of sandwich/toast-type bread, with a round hole cut into
> it with a small glass or something, sauteed/griddled with an egg
> cracked into the hole, is alive and well in Israel, under the name,
> Beitzah B'Kein, which translates to "Egg in a Nest." I recall
> Theodore Sturgeon, in one of his novels ("The Dreaming Jewels"???)
> describing these and calling them Gas House Eggs.

They've been made in my family since my great-grandmother's time, who
was born in the year 1900 in South Carolina (and _she_ remembered her
grandparents talking about losing their family holdings due to Sherman's
March to the Sea...). We call them egg-in-a-hole. It's a matter of pride
to saute the bread (family preference is a large slice of sourdough) in
butter without browning said butter to a crisp, then frying the egg
gently in the hole, the equivalent of 'over easy.' Our cutter of choice
was the larger end of a metal jigger. ;)

ciorstan