[Sca-cooks] Rice WAS Simple pleasures (OOP)

Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Thu Aug 8 04:49:02 PDT 2002

Also sprach Christina Nevin:
>Adamantius wrote:
>>  Oh, no. Not at all. You're just not used to exposure to a living font
>of thousands of years of distilled cultural wisdom. My lady wife, for
>example, feels, after much deep consideration, and consultation of
>the Confucian books, that brown rice is "yucky".
>

>Gotta agree with that one! On a tangent, my local supermarket has just
>started doing over the last couple of years and I've found one called
>"Nanking black rice", which I absolutely love. It is indeed pitch black, has
>the same dieing qualities as squid ink, and is a short grain rice similar to
>risotto, with a very nutty flavour. It has quickly become my favourite. Has
>anyone seen this before? The packet says it's from China but I never
>realised they had black rice.

So maybe brown rice is considered a cowardly, wishy-washy evasion of
choice ;-). China grows all kinds of rice, obviously. It's a bit like
the 400 different shades of potato you never saw outside of Peru and
Bolivia, I guess (until recently, anyway).

I'm aware of different shades and types of red rice, in addition to
black rice, too, ranging from what looks like a russet or cedar
variant on brown rice, to honest-to-gosh _red_ rice. And then there
was the small bag of red rice which I once bought, which was labelled
"yeast", and which I assumed to be a quaint mistranslation or typo,
but which, I later discovered, probably really was yeast for making
red sorghum wine. And tasted really bad, as you might imagine.

Adamantius

deserves to be called a scholar."
	-DONALD FOSTER