[Sca-cooks] Re: regional names for common egg dishes

Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Thu Aug 8 04:59:05 PDT 2002

Also sprach Peldyn at aol.com:
>I guess my mom was weird. We rarely had eggs, and if we did it was the much
>loathed eggs, beans and bread and butter. The aforementioned beans were the
>canned pork n beans variety (shudder). So I have never had creamed eggs, toad
>in the hole, or English monkey.
>Does this mean I have been deprived?

In a way, but I must say you've shown great strength of character and
courage in the face of adversity ;-).

Actually, the role of the more-or-less American-style baked bean,
which Americans seem to either make fresh from actual dried beans,
etc., or eat in tinned or bottled form with things like frankfurters
or barbecued meats, is rather weird in the UK, I gather.

I mean, we're talking baked beans on toast? Baked beans with eggs?
Wazzup wid dat? Is it a holdover from WWII rationing, a cheap protein
source? (Not a criticism, just interesting.)

OTOH, compared to curry chips, it's not especially odd ;-)

Adamantius

deserves to be called a scholar."
	-DONALD FOSTER