Rice, food poisoning, and attitudes towards food safety (Was Re: [Sca-cooks] Simple pleasures )

Daniel Myers doc at medievalcookery.com
Thu Aug 8 08:25:50 PDT 2002

On Wednesday, August 7, 2002, at 08:00 PM, Gorgeous Muiredach wrote:
> I'd rather over react than kill someone.  Or make them sick.  Or even
> just
> mildly uncomfortable with cramps or whatever.  I would *like* to think
> that
> I have never given anyone food poisoning, but quite honestly, I cannot
> say
> that.  Food poisoning comes in many ways.  cramps, gaz, nausea, diahrea,
> vomiting, are some mild symptoms.
>
> There, off of my soapbox now.

And thank you for getting on your soapbox.  As one who seems to be
particularly susceptible to food poisoning (I have strong symptoms like
the above when others experience slight symptoms or none at all -- my
wife now refers to me as the canary in the coal mine), the subject is
very important to me.  I  can't begin to count the number of times I've
eaten a wonderful feast (or restaurant dinner for that matter) only to
have to rush home afterwards and be sick.  It doesn't take me long to
learn to avoid certain restaurants and cooks.

Oh, and the second most important rule (IMO) after keeping foods out of
the danger zone is washing your hands.  Wash them early, wash them often.