[Sca-cooks] Weirdly simple but confusing Indian dish...

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 8 19:25:59 PDT 2002

--- "Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamantius"
<adamantius.magister at verizon.net> wrote:

> we had an appetizer I'd never encountered
> before. It was called Malabar Chicken, but
> unlike the four billion
> Malabar chicken recipes all over the Web and
> elsewhere, it was not a
> chicken curry with coconut milk. This was a
> lightly-spiced series of
> pounded chicken cutlets, dipped in a
> coconut-cream egg wash, coated
> with shredded coconut, and sauteed. Served very
> simply with mango
> chutney. It was a simple, but very good, dish,
> but I found it hard to
> imagine there wasn't, to put it gently, a heavy
> Western influence.
>
> Has anybody encountered this one?

Why do you think that there is "Western
Influence" in this dish?  Because it doesn't have
curry in it?  I personally think that most of the
current Indian food has a heavy "Western
Influence".  Why? Because almost everything
_does_ have curry or peppers in it.  Capsicum
peppers are not native to India and didn't become
popular in India until they were introduced there
by Westerners.  I have been trying to find
recipes for Indian food that don't have curry or
peppers in them.  It is a very hard thing to do.

Huette

=====
shall never cease to be amused.